Title: Equipment Operator I
Department: Public Works
Reports To: Group Leader
Pay Plan: B (80hrs per pay period)
Type: __X__FT _____Part –Time _____Temp
FLSA: ____ Exempt __X___ Non Exempt
Emergency Classification: Class I
Summary: The Equipment Operator I is under the direction of the Group Leader. The Equipment Operator I is responsible for May be responsible for job set up and the supervision of others assigned to task. May substitute for lower positions and be required to operate various pieces of parish equipment as assigned.
Essential Job Functions: Essential duties are not intendedto be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
· Responsible to inspect equipment daily;
· Required to perform manual labor as directed;
· May assist Mechanic to facilitate repairs to equipment in a timely manner;
· Responsible to be courteous and responsive when dealing with the public;
· Responsible to keep abreast of and adhere to all parish policies, including but not limited to the Personnel Policy and Uniform/Safety Equipment Policy;
· Responsible to complete and submit all paperwork required in a neat and timely manner;
· Responsible to practice safety measures when operating parish equipment or when on parish property;
· Responsible to work additional hours as required during emergency situations.
· Any other duties as assigned by the Group Leader, Area Foreman, Assistant Director and/or Director of Public Works.
Competencies:Employee must be able to operate two of the following specialty equipment needed for the position. Specialty equipment includes but is not limited to Grass Cutter, Boom Mower, and Dump Truck. Employee must have knowledge and ability to be trained to operate any piece of parish equipment.
Work Environment: The primary duties of this position are performed in the field. The field includes high traffic and open areas of empty land which might include swampy, wet conditions and exposure to wildlife and insects. This position is not limited to the field and also includes an office environment to complete necessary documents pertaining to the job.
Physical Demands: As needed to perform the essential functions of the position. Which include but are not limited to:
· Ability to raise or lower objects from one level or another (includes pushing and pulling) (25lbs – 50lbs)
· Ability to walk on uneven or rough natural terrain
· Ability to work in various weather conditions
· Ability to lift equipment to and from job sites;
· Ability to be trained to operate any piece of parish equipment.
· Ability toclimb, balance, stoop, kneel, crawl as well as use of hands for various task.
· Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time
· Ability to read and write the English language
Required Education/Qualifications: A high school diploma or completion of a certified G.E.D. course is required. Position requires a valid State of Louisiana Class “A” License and Health Card.
POSITION MEETING REQUIREMENTS: The incumbent may be required to attend Parish meetings before, during and after business hours.
PAY: $12.18 / Hour
LOCATION: Various Barns throughout the Parish.
St. Tammany Parish Government is an EOE/M/F/Disability/Veteran