Title: Animal Control Officer
Department: Animal Services
Reports To: Animal Control Supervisor
Pay Plan: A (75hrs per pay period)
Type: __X__FT _____Part –Time _____Temp
FLSA: ____ Exempt __X___ Non Exempt
Emergency Classification: Class I
Summary: Under the direction of the Animal Control Supervisor. The Animal Control Officer duties shall include working in the field, patrolling assigned areas to enforce laws and ordinances as related to care, control and licensing of animals in St. Tammany Parish. The ACO should also be picking up stray, sick, injured, and dead animals. The ACO will carry out daily assignments, follow through on matters and use independent judgement and training to take appropriate actions to deal with standard recurring situations. The ACO should have the ability to deal with the general public tactfully and courteously.
Essential Job Functions: Essential duties are not intendedto be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
· Investigate cruelty cases
· Investigate dangerous/vicious animals, including bites
· Issue warnings and citations to animal owners found in violation of animal ordinances and appear in court
· Concise report writings and fundamental computer skills will be needed
· Ability to operate two-way radio
· Ability to drive a large truck or van, including backing up; ability to pull a trailer up to 24ft long
· Ability to euthanize animals in accordance with policies and procedures set by the Department of Animal Services.
· Work independently and organize work assignments to respond to a maximum number of calls
· Perform routine vehicle and equipment maintenance
· Enter data into a personal computer
· Assist the public with adoptions, reclaims, and intakes.
· Answering the phones and assisting the front desk as needed
· Required to be “On Call” on a rotational basis, dealing with emergency calls after hours, on weekends, and holidays.
· The ability to develop and maintain an effective working relationship with co-workers and other law enforcement agencies.
· Any other duties as assigned by the Animal Control Supervisor and/or Director of Animal Services.
Competencies:Employee must be able to operate basic office equipment, office computer, copy machine, fax machine, and scanner. The ability to gain working knowledge of animal control equipment, i.e. traps, nets, bite sticks, control poles, and tranquilizer guns will be required.
Work Environment: The primary duties of this position are performed in a professional office environment, but are not limited to an office environment. This position also includes the field areas of empty land which may include swampy and wet conditions. This position may be exposed to wildlife and bugs in the environment.
Physical Demands: As needed to perform the essential functions of the position. Which include but are not limited to:
· Ability to raise or lower objects from one level or another (includes pushing and pulling) (25lbs – 50lbs)
· Ability to frequently bend, stoop, and climb
· Ability to walk on uneven or rough natural terrain
· Ability to work in various weather conditions
· Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time
· Ability to read and write the English language
Required Education/Qualifications: Graduate from an accredited High School or successful completion of G.E.D. Successful completion of the first offered Louisiana Certified Animal Euthanasia Technician Course. Applicant must possess a valid Louisiana Driver’s License.
POSITION MEETING REQUIREMENTS: The incumbent may be required to attend Parish meetings before, during and after business hours.
Location: Hwy 36 Animal Shelter
Salary: $13.76 hr.
Last Date for Consideration: March 29, 2017
St. Tammany Parish Government is an EOE/M/F/Disability/Veteran