Title: PT-Animal Care Technician Position No:
Department: Animal Services Reports To: Kennel Manager
Labor Grade:5 Pay Plan: A (54 hours per pay period)
EEO/Census Code:__________ Type: ___FT __X___Part –Time _____Temp
FLSA: ____ Exempt __X___ Non Exempt Emergency Classification: Class II
Summary: Under the direction of the Kennel Manager. This position will be responsible for the day to day care, feeding, and cleaning of the animals and the general upkeep and maintenance of the shelter facility. It will occasionally require the ability to work weekends and holidays. It requires someone that works well on their own as well as with others. This position reports to the Kennel Manager.
Essential Job Functions: Essential duties are not intendedto be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The ability to deal well with the public;
- Assist the public with animal related questions;
- Receiving and adopting out animals will be required;
- The ability to euthanize animals will be required;
- Communicate as needed information relating to Parish ordinances and pet-related questions;
- Additional duties will include answering the phones and clerical duties as required;
- Aids the public by answering questions about Animal Control Shelter operations;
- Understand and adhere to municipal and parish animal control laws and other laws pertaining to animal care and control;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with Parish policies and procedures;
- Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions;
- Required to work all emergency events as required for the event if designated essential;
- Any other duties as assigned by the Kennel Manager and/or Director of Animal Services.
Competencies:Employee must be able to operate basic office equipment, office computer, and other specialty equipment needed for the position. The employee must be able to complete Louisiana Animal Control Association Certification Academy and Certified Animal Euthanasia Course. Preferred abilities include knowledge of animal control procedures, knowledge of the proper use of cleaning and disinfectants used in facilities to house animals, excellent in customer relations, and has the ability to handle a work environment that can change on a daily basis. Employee should have knowledge of animal control equipment, i.e. traps, nets, control sticks, and tranquilizer guns.
Work Environment: The primary duties of this position are performed in a professional office environment.
Physical Demands: As needed to perform the essential functions of the position. Which include but are not limited to:
· Ability to raising or lowering of objects from one level or another (includes pushing and pulling) (25lbs – 50lbs)
· Ability to frequently walk, bend, stoop, and climb
· Ability to walk on uneven or rough natural terrain
· Ability to work in various weather conditions
· Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time
· Ability to read and write the English language
Required Education/Qualifications: A high school diploma or completion of a certified G.E.D. course is required. A valid Driver’s License is required.
Location: Hwy 36 Animal Shelter
Salary: $13.44 / Hour
Last Date for Consideration: April 26, 2017
St. Tammany Parish Government is an EOE/M/F/Disability/Veteran