Title: Animal Care Technician
Department: Animal Services
Reports To: Supervisor 1 – Kennel
Labor Grade: 5
Pay Plan: A (75hrs per pay period)
Type: ____FT __ X ___Part –Time _____Temp
FLSA: ____ Exempt __X___ Non Exempt
Emergency Classification: Class II (PT)
Summary: Under the direction of the Supervisor 1 – Kennel. This position will be responsible for the day to day care, feeding, and cleaning of the animals and the general upkeep and maintenance of the shelter facility. The ability to deal well with the public, assist them with animal related questions, receiving and adopting out animals will be required. The ability to work weekends and holidays will be required.
Essential Job Functions: Essential duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Daily cleaning and care of animal kennels and facilities including feeding, watering, etc.
- Receiving and adopting out animals; may be required to euthanize an animal
- Aids the public by answering questions about Animal Control Shelter operations and adoptions; communicate as needed information relating to Parish ordinances and pet-related questions
- Answering the phones and assisting in clerical duties as needed
- Understand and adhere to municipal and parish animal control laws and other laws pertaining to animal care and control
- Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions
- Required to work all emergency events as required for the event if designated essential
- Any other duties as assigned
Competencies: Employee must be able to operate basic office equipment, office computer and software, and other specialty equipment needed for the position. Preferred abilities include knowledge of animal control procedures, knowledge of the proper use of cleaning and disinfectants used in facilities to house animals, excellent in customer relations, and has the ability to handle a work environment that can change on a daily basis. Employee should have knowledge of animal control equipment, i.e. traps, nets, and control sticks. The ability to euthanize animals will be required.
Work Environment: The incumbent works in a typical office environment with little or no exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Position does involve constant exposure to animals. Occasional duties may require travel or working in non-office environment.
Physical Demands: Medium work. Medium work involves lifting no more than 50 pounds at a time with frequent lifting, lowering, pulling, pushing and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. If someone can do medium work, we determine that he or she can also do sedentary and light work. Must be able to bend, stoop, kneel and climb in order to complete various job duties. Must be able to stand, sit and walk for extended periods, sometimes on uneven or rough terrain in various weather conditions.
Required Education/Qualifications: A high school diploma or equivalent GED required. A valid Driver’s License is required. The employee must be able to complete the Certified Animal Euthanasia Course and obtain FEMA Certification.
Location: Animal Shelter – Hwy 56 Lacombe
Salary: $13.44 / Hour
Last Date for Consideration: Tuesday July 17, 2018
St. Tammany Parish Government is an EOE/M/F/Disability/Veteran