Title: Mechanic Helper
Department: Public Works
Reports To: Supervisor 2 - Fleet
Labor Grade: 6
Pay Plan: B (80hrs per pay period)
Type: __X__FT _____Part –Time _____Temp
FLSA: ____ Exempt __X___ Non-Exempt
Emergency Classification: Class I
Summary: The Mechanic Helper is under the direction of the Supervisor 2 - Fleet. The Mechanic Helper is responsible for job set up and the supervision of others assigned to task and will substitute/fill in for other positions as needed. Perform minor mechanical repairs on light trucks and heavy equipment.
Essential Job Functions: Essential duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Responsible to change/repair tires, parts, hydraulic hoses, pick up and deliver parts; maintain schedules for tire repairs and vendors, maintain inventory of tires, supplies, and tools
- Order and dispose of tires, dismount and mount large equipment tires in the shop and in the field
- Responsible to assist mechanics in equipment repairs, inspections and some diagnostics
- Manage surplus sale: property and sales and all related documents, internet research sales prices to establish fair market value and /or scrap value
- Enter data and documentation into ERP system: requisitions, work orders, reports, information
- Perform brake tag inspections
- Conduct various inspections on miscellaneous equipment to determine the most cost effective repair, maintenance, or replacement
- Create, update, and close work orders
- Maintain and operate all STP emergency response vehicles, equipment and supplies, assist in setting up command sites and implement safety procedures
- Maintain miscellaneous equipment inventory
- Operate tow truck, forklift, tire center truck, all command center equipment including on board electronics
- Any other duties as assigned
Competencies: Employee must have experience with mechanical repairs, tire repair, carpentry, painting; experience with mechanic tools, comprehend shop manuals and intermediate computer skills. Candidate must have knowledge and ability to be trained to operate any piece of parish equipment
Work Environment: The incumbent typically performs work in a maintenance shop and in the field. The field includes high traffic areas, open and empty land, wooded conditions, both urban and rural roads and drainage, muddy areas, swampy areas, hot, humid, cold, and wet conditions, and exposure to wildlife and insects. This position may include work performed in an office environment to complete necessary documents pertaining to the job.
Physical Demands: Heavy work. Heavy work involves lifting no more than 100 pounds at a time with frequent lifting, lowering, pulling, pushing and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Must be able to bend, stoop, kneel and climb in order to complete various job duties. Must be able to stand, sit and walk for extended periods, sometimes on uneven or rough terrain in various weather conditions. If someone can do heavy work, we determine that he or she can also do medium, light, and sedentary work.
Required Education/Qualifications: A high school diploma or equivalent GED and minimum 1 year relevant experience is required. Applicant must possess a valid Class “A” CDL with airbrake and combination vehicles endorsements or be able to obtain CDL within 3 months of hire.
Location: Fleet / Vehicle Maintenance on Tyler Street Covington, LA
Salary: $13.76 / Hour
Last Date for Consideration: Tuesday July 17, 2018
St. Tammany Parish Government is an EOE/M/F/Disability/Veteran