Caution to Citizens on Consumer Fraud
St. Tammany Parish Government would like to caution citizens when using unlicensed contractors for hurricane repairs.There are many reputable contractors within St. Tammany Parish and wonderful contractors coming in, but we ask that you please take precautions.Individuals who may, or may not, be licensed to do repair and/or cleanup work are entering the parish. We encourage citizens to take the following steps when hiring contractors, roofers, tree services, electricians and other repair workers.
- Seek multiple quotes from reputable, licensed contractors
- Ask to see the license and insurance documentation
- Take a photo of your contractor and get identification
- Check and re-check all references
- Call the Better Business Bureau if there is any doubt at 504-581-6222 or visit www.bbb.org
Remember that you will have to live with this repair work for many years to come. Do your repairs safely and properly. We also want to support the businesses that are a part of our community.
If you wish to file a complaint for price gouging or home repair scams, please contact the Office of the Attorney General • Consumer Protection Section • P.O. Box 94005 • Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005; or call 1-800-351-4889 or visit www.ag.state.la.us.
» View All