The mission of the St. Tammany Commission on Cultural Affairs is to enrich the lives of the citizens of St. Tammany Parish by nurturing, sustaining, and enhancing the arts.
The St. Tammany Commission on Cultural Affairs has many programs and initiatives available to assist arts organizations and non-profit agencies presenting arts programs, so as to foster development of the arts in St. Tammany Parish. We offer programs and initiatives in grants, public art, arts marketing, leadership and organization development, cultural programs, cultural planning and technical assistance.
For extensive information on Decentralized Arts Funding Grants (DAF) click here.
The St. Tammany Commission on Cultural Affairs is an agency of the St. Tammany Parish Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism.
If you have any comments or questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The St. Tammany Parish Library is soliciting proposals from qualified artists/artist groups to provide commissioned artwork to be displayed in the Madisonville Library branch. The Selection Committee will review existing pieces or proposals for the creation of a new work. The work will be placed in the newly constructed facility on 1123 Main Street in Madisonville. The desire and intent of this purchase is to provide welcoming, enriching and meaningful artwork that sparks the imagination and enhances the library experience. We are seeking a range of forms, styles, media and sizes from a variety of artists and cultural traditions. Funding for this purchase is made possible through the Percent for Art Ordinance that provides a percentage of the total construction cost be dedicated to the acquisition of artwork for the facility. The total project funding is $50,000.
Artwork will be selected by jury as outlined in the Percent for Art ordinance. The selection criteria will include but not limited to broad public appeal, creativity and uniqueness, artistic excellence, craftsmanship and durability of the product, size in context of the building, ability to enhance the library space and total cost of piece.
Entry is open to professional artists, age 18 and older in all media and all work must be original. Artists who are ineligible to apply include library staff and members of the Art Selection Committee or their families. All photography and print pieces must belong to a limited edition series of 100 or less. Artists must follow the submittal requirement guidelines for consideration.
There are six places for potential placement:
Entry wall over book/media drop next to circulation desk
- Maximum dimension of artwork for this space: 48w X 60h
Large mural wall children’s section
- Size of wall: 36’w X 11’h. **NOTE – these specs are for the size of wall, where the specs for the other spaces are for the maximum size of the artwork. Additionally, please note that the specs are in feet where the others are inches.
- This space will be visible from the entire library. The mural will be installed in the space, not painted directly to the surface. As an example – artist may propose multiple canvas panels. The artists may propose alternative materials for installation.
- The price for this piece, including installation, shall not exceed $25,000.
- Tall narrow wall in teen section
Artists may visit the library during regular business hours to see the available space or may view photos on the St. Tammany Parish Library Facebook page.
The selection committee will review the images and proposals submitted and select the pieces for purchase. The committee may require to speak with the artist or may request to view existing pieces in person. Artists will be notified of acceptance by December 15.
For more information on the project, please email MadisonvilleArt@stpl.us or you may call the St. Tammany Parish Library at (985) 871-1219. The St. Tammany Commission on Cultural Affairs may be reached at (985) 898-2859.
The PROJECT SCHEDULE is as follows:
Mail or Hand Deliver Material to:
St. Tammany Parish Library
310 West 21st Ave
Covington, La 70433
SEE ATTACHED FORM
Maximum dimension of artwork for this space: 54”w X 60”h
- Professional artists, age 18 and older in all media are eligible to submit proposals for commissioned work or they may submit existing artworks for purchase consideration. Artists must provide home address (and gallery address, if applicable), on the entry form for each work of art submitted.
- Any original artwork or art form must be wired for hanging. Durability and long-term maintenance of artwork is an important consideration. All artwork must be gallery wrapped canvas with all sides painted or it must be framed.
- Any original media is eligible for consideration. Also eligible are limited edition lithographs, photographic images; printed works done in multiples of less than 100. Subject matter should be appropriate for public display.
- Size Limitations for works that are very large or very heavy and three dimensional works– If you have an exceptionally heavy piece, please email with the specifications and we will determine whether or not it is suitable for the space. The facility is built with metal studs that could factor into the ability to install certain pieces. Please see the call description for the space restrictions for each identified site.
- Artists can submit up to two  proposal commissioned projects and up to three  images of existing artworks for purchase consideration. An “artwork” may, however, include more than one image; in the case of a multiple-image installation, the artists should clearly indicate on all components how many framed images comprise the installation and provide a description of how the images are to be installed and displayed.
- The Jury’s selections are based on many considerations. Among them are: appropriateness for public installation; likely appeal for the general public; subject matter; size; artistic excellence & originality; quality & durability of artwork; purchase price.
- Artists are responsible for timely delivery and pick-up of artwork. Artist is responsible for the delivery cost for the piece.
- Artists should complete one Entry Form, and provide all of the required supplemental documents. Please fill out all applicable spaces!
- Compensation and Copyright Release: The work selected and purchased will be owned by St. Tammany Parish Government with all rights to reproduce, film, and photograph the above named work. The artist forfeits all rights and can claim no residual fees. The artist, owner of copyright, indemnifies the Parish of St. Tammany for any and all claims, fees, and costs for the use of said material in violation of copyright law.
- St. Tammany Parish Government reserves the right to reject any and all entries.