The Department of Grants serves as the Parish’s central administrative unit responsible for securing external resources through grants and contracts as well as accountability to those sources. The department also informs the Parish departments, offices and agencies of all relevant local, state and federal grant programs as well as provides guidance and support to the Parish while ensuring the government’s contractual and regulatory obligations.

The St Tammany Rental Assistance Program (STRAP), is no longer accepting rental assistance applications. If you missed the application deadline, please contact 211. They will be able to provide you with the contact information of other agencies that may be able to assist you. You can also find a St. Tammany Resource List by clicking here.

The Department of Grants shall also be responsible for administration of the following programs:

  • Mitigation is designed to reduce the risk to individuals and property from natural hazards while simultaneously reducing the reliance on Federal disaster funds. St. Tammany administers Hazard Mitigation funds awarded by Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), through the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP), for qualified residential properties within the Parish.
  • STAR Transit is a demand response transit system that operates within the boundaries of St. Tammany Parish. The system is open to all residents within the Parish. The program operates two types of services: rural transportation and urban transportation. It is designed to transport passengers to and between essential services and destinations. This service is non-emergency and provides curb-to-curb service on a call-in, first-come first served basis.
Grants FAQs
I am interested in obtaining a low-interest mortgage loan for first-time home buyers. What agency should I call in order to find out more about these loans?
We recommend that you call the Louisiana Housing Finance Agency (LHFA) at (888) 454-2001 to learn about programs designed to assist first-time home buyers as well as a list of participating lenders. We also recommend that you contact the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at (202) 708-1112, and inquire about their FHA loans.
Who should I contact to find out if there are grants available for start-up businesses?
We recommend that you contact the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) for assistance and information. You can contact the SBDC at one of the following universities, or contact the Louisiana Small Business Development Center: Louisiana Small Business Development Center Telephone: (318) 342-5506; Loyola University Small Business Development Center Telephone: (504) 864-7942; Southeastern Louisiana University Telephone: (985) 549-3831, University of New Orleans Telephone: (504) 539-9292
Can I obtain a grant from St. Tammany Parish for my art project?
Individuals in St. Tammany Parish are not awarded grants. However, we do award grants for art projects as a sub-grantee for the Louisiana Division of the Arts. Please contact the St. Tammany Commission on Cultural Affairs at (985) 867-5095 or for more information on arts project grants.
How do I obtain a grant to elevate my home?
Grants are available for residential mitigation in relation to specific disaster and through an annual competitive grant opportunity provided by FEMA.

Each opportunity has specific requirements - for more information, contact or (985) 898-3078, or click here to access the Residential Mitigation information page.